When searching for a new vehicle, consumers have multiple choices as it relates to style, engine performance, gas mileage and brands. But which vehicle is the most popular in each state?
BetColorado.com took a break from sports betting in Colorado and utilized CarLogos.org’s list of the Top 50 most popular car brands in the United States as a starting point for the research project. We then utilized Google Trends to search each car brand to see the highest level of interest of each state for the brand.
After completing the trends from July 25th, 2022, to July 25th, 2023, we were able to average out the results to get the top car brand for each state.
Favorite Car Brand By State
- Honda (7 states): Alaska, Delaware, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina
- Dodge (5 states): Arkansas, Idaho, Kansas, Missouri, New Mexico
- Ford (4 states): Michigan, Montana, South Dakota, Wyoming
- Audi (4 states): Colorado, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New York
- Mercedes-Benz (3 states): Florida, Georgia, Virginia
- Chevy (3 states): Kentucky, North Dakota, Oklahoma
- Mazda (3 states): Minnesota, Pennsylvania, Washington
- Volkswagen (3 states): New Hampshire, Oregon, Utah
- Buick (3 states): Indiana, Iowa, Wisconsin
- Hyundai (3 states): Alabama, Arizona, Illinois
- 1 state: California (Tesla), Hawaii (Toyota), Maine (Volvo), Nebraska (Lincoln), Nevada (BMW), New Jersey (Land Rover), Ohio (Kia), Rhode Island (Alfa Romeo), Tennessee (Nissan), Texas (Lamborghini), Vermont (Subaru), West Virginia (Jeep)
Colorado Seeks Out Audi Vehicles
When looking up the most popular vehicles in Colorado, Subaru led the way in new car registrations in 2022 and Tesla has 26% of the market share for the same year, but according to the Google Trends research, car buyers in Colorado are looking at Audi vehicles more and more.
The Audi brand of luxury cars rank No. 19 on the CarLogos.com list of most popular car brands among the Top 50.
Audi is a luxury car brand on par with BMW and Mercedes-Benz, so total sales figures aren’t going to be as high as Subaru, Ford and Toyota. According to carsalesbase.com, Audi sold 196,038 vehicles in the United States in 2021, which was a 4.8% increase over 2020, but still down from a high of 226,511 in 2017.
In 2022, Colorado ranked 23rd nationally in new car sales with 194,186, according to factorywarrantylist.com. California is No. 1 with 1,667,831 new car sales.
After Subaru, other new-car registrations in Colorado were for Volkswagen, Ram, Toyota and Ford. And in the market share, Mitsubishi, Kia, Mini and Genesis rank after the Tesla brand, according to the Colorado Automobile Dealers Association.
When looking at 2022 used car sales in Colorado, data from iSeeCars.com shows the Ford F-150 has the biggest share of sales followed by the Ram 1500, Chevy Silverado 1500, Toyota Tacoma and the Toyota 4Runner.
Along with features like this, BetColorado.com has reviews of the best Colorado online sportsbooks.