The Denver Nuggets achieved a bit of franchise history in their 56th season along the Front Range.
The Michael Malone-coached club secured its first ever No. 1 seed in the Western Conference, thanks to going 53-29.
As a result, the Nuggets now get to square off against the NBA play-in tournament survivor. The series tips off Sunday.
As for the team’s chances, oddsmakers at BetMGM Sportsbook Colorado give Denver the fifth best title odds (alongside Golden State) at +1000, coming in behind Milwaukee (+275), Boston (+350), Phoenix (+500) and Philadelphia (+900).
The Nuggets’ Western Conference odds are a bit rosier, with Colorado online sports betting sites listing Denver at +340, which is second behind the Suns (+200).
BetColorado.com, home to reviews of Colorado sports betting apps, took a look at how the Nuggets have fared during the first round in their last 10 trips to the postseason.
Nuggets Last 10 NBA Playoff Berths
- 2022: Lost to Golden State in five games (1st round)
- 2021: Beat Portland in six games (1st round); Lost to Phoenix in four games (2nd round)
- 2020: Beat Utah in seven games (1st round); Beat L.A. Clippers in seven games (2nd round); Lost to L.A. Lakers in five games (Western Conference Finals)
- 2019: Beat San Antonio in seven games (1st round); Lost to Portland in seven games (2nd round)
- 2013: Lost to Golden State in six games (1st round)
- 2012: Lost to L.A. Lakers in seven games (1st round)
- 2011: Lost to Oklahoma City in five games (1st round)
- 2010: Lost to Utah in six games (1st round)
- 2009: Beat New Orleans in five games (1st round); Beat Dallas in five games (2nd round); Lost to L.A. Lakers in six games (WC Finals)
- 2008: Lost to L.A. Lakers in four games (1st round)
- Total: 4-6 in 1st round series since 2008 NBA Playoffs
Nuggets Not Sure Thing In 1st Round
The Nuggets have faced their share of struggles during the opening round of the NBA postseason, failing to advance past the first round in six of their last 10 trips.
That was again the case last season, as Denver fell to eventual champion Golden State in five games.
Now, Denver will play either Minnesota, Oklahoma City or New Orleans in the opening round as a heavy betting favorite — get Colorado sportsbook promos for the game and the rest of the playoffs at BetColorado.com — thanks to securing the top spot in the West.
If the Nuggets do get past the first round, they’d play either the Suns or Clippers in the second round.
If Denver draws Phoenix, it would present the franchise an opportunity to rectify their four-game sweep at the hands of the Suns during the second round of the 2021 postseason, which was the Nuggets last trip to the Western Conference semifinals.
Either way, Nuggets fans can hope 2023 will present a better postseason outcome than any in the franchise’s 50-plus year run, as Denver longs for their first title in franchise history.